Friday 24 October 2014

Bird Watching

Oil on Board, 10 x 14 inches

This was yet another demo painting I did back in the heady days of Summer, again completed in the studio today, probably to be included in my upcoming solo-show at John Noott Gallery in December.

I remember the day I was by the River Nene; the field where I've placed the figure is a silvery green colour, because the hay had just been cut. I also remember looking up and seeing a Buzzard and a Sparrowhawk having a sparring contest - I think the smaller raptor was bombing the Buzzard for being in his territory - he certaily seemed very angry and all the aggression came from him. I managed to take a poor photo of them way high above me:

2 comments:

  1. I am just flabbergasted at how you can achieve such accurate detail, everything in perfect color and temperature, and for such a complex scene as this. Absolutely beautiful! The texture of the water is so silky compared to the dry roughness of the foreground grasses. And the farmer standing in the field looking this way, probably troubled by the proximity of the thistle. Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Mitch, you're very kind! They're harmless Teasels actually, so no problem for the farmer, and plenty of food for the Goldfinches in Winter.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment !