Tuesday 4 August 2015

November, Midday, Mousehole

Oil on Board, 14 x 20 inches

Phew, this one was one of those I really wanted to paint - one that fires the artistic juices - so I earmarked it for one of my submissions for the 2015 Royal Society of Marine Artists exhibition at the Mall Galleries in October. Why phew?  Because it was one of the most complex subjects I've ever painted, with SO much going on, so it was actually a relief to get it finally finished after days of toil, repainting passages to correct the subtle colour shifts, especially in the foreground wet sand.

The hook was the sunlight bouncing off the rooftops that were angled to catch the pure glare of the sun. But to paint the rest of the scene to satisfaction, ALL the rest of the cottages, and all their windows had to be painted. I did my best to suggest rather than paint them all, but it's no easy task nonetheless. The all the cars parked on the road up the hill, then the boats, all parked at jaunty angles, and all the other little incidentals too numerous to mention.

I truly admire and revere artists who can suggest such detail without actually depicting it!  

I took three photos along the journey of this one too:


The rough in with the main players loosely drawn in with thin paint and the reat of the shapes scrubbed in.
The sky suggested and some work done on the lit roofs and the backdrop of trees and rocks.
The houses and hillside mostly finished and a start made on the boats and harbour wall, before painting in the wet foreground sand with all its sparkle and radiating ropes which were mostly suggested using an old credit card.

4 comments:

  1. You must be really pleased Peter your hard work paid off the colours and light are perfect Ve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Peter ........I love this painting, when you say out took days to do , is it a plein air painting, or one you are working from photos you have taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karl. No, this wasn't a plein air painting, it was done in the studio from a combination of my own photos. I rarely attempt anything this complex on site!

      Delete

Please leave a comment !