Saturday 24 October 2015

The Idle Ivel

Oil on Board, 11 x 15 inches

This painting was one I did as a demo a few months back and dug out yesterday to finish off. Very green subject and that day back in August, there was flat light, so not much in the way of contrasting lights and darks, so it necessitated a lot of close-toned colours and subtle changes throughout. To make the painting convincing, all these close tones must be observed, so much concentration is needed. 

The flashy lights and darks seen on a bright day are much more dramatic, but these quieter subjects have a certain charm about them, albeit lacking in sparkling highlights.
 

1 comment:

  1. Your landscapes are fascinating. I was always fond of artists who can draw in such a realistic way. Besides I just honor you cause you do it with pastel and as for me it's the only material I am not very good working with.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment !