Friday 12 August 2016

Satin Repose


Oil on Board, 12 x 17 inches

I've reworked this painting for the second time now, after re-assessing it. In its previous guise, the pillow and quilt were patterned, and on reflection, I felt it competed too much with the figure, so I've changed it to pure white, which I think looks far better and stops the competition!

The silk top was great fun to paint with all those shiny folds, and here is a perfect example painting what you see, not what you know, or think you see; if I asked what colour the top is, hopefully the vast majority of people would say white, but only the very top accents are pure white - the rest of it is a kaleidoscope of greys, purples, greens and yellows, taking great care to observe those subtle tone and colour changes in the folds.  

6 comments:

  1. Hi Peter.
    I know you are great at drawing, but this is outstanding. Full marks here Peter. I go to life classes but Although there is some excelent people there who can draw. Nothing like this masterpiece. All the best Peter.
    Vic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thnk you very much Vic, that's very kind of you! Cheers, Peter

      Delete
  2. It would be interesting to see it in its former evolution for comparison. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sara - if yu click on my Facebook link, and scroll down though all the comments, you can see I posted a photo of its previous incarnation: https://www.facebook.com/peter.barker.1485?fref=ts

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I found it. I like them both but the white one has a warmer feel and I think the way you changed her hair on the pillow so that she sinks into it really makes a big difference to the atmosphere of the painting. Looks like the patterned duvet took a lot of work, you were brave to change it! Thanks for sharing this. I am also an artist, from Devon but live in California now, and I enjoy seeing your paintings of the countryside, especially the recent wet road one. Believe it or not when its sunny all the time, eventually you miss the rain. Cheers.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Sara - well spotted with the hair! Actually, changing the duvet to white was simple - the hard bit was painting the pattern in the first place! Thanks for your kind comments on my daubs, and I'm with you on the rain - it's hot here at the moment, and I long for cooler, greyer days again!

      Delete

Please leave a comment !