Monday 28 January 2019

Banks of Frost

Pastel 13 x 19 inches
 
I'm ploughing through a few demo paintings I did last year, just refining them to exhibition standard, beyond the two hours of the demo.
 
Almost a monochrome painting, with a lot of close tones, it was an exercise in capturing various subtle greys to achieve the desired result. I find using the Pastel medium tougher than Oils for this kind of subject, because you need so many close colours, and finding them on my extensive palette is no easy task, especially being an untidy painter - I get so into the painting that I put a stick down, grab another one and before I know it, the colours are all mixed up, which is fatal, and it stops the flow. 
 
I love the 'softer' look and feel of Pastels, but Oils will always be my preferred medium for most subjects, although using Pastels also makes the desire to grab the brushes again even stronger!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment !