Saturday 5 July 2014

River Nene at Waternewton

Oil on Board, 7.5 x 10 inches

Sometimes as an artist, you look at a subject and think "hmm, it's quite pleasing, but it doesn't have the knockout composition that warrants a big canvas or board", which was the case here, so I opted for a small board....and wished I'd gone for a bigger one!

This was a very green picture, but as I painted it, I really started to love it, and the slow-moving water of the Nene was captivating with the shadows running across the water.  The main thing to make a green painting convincing is to try to observe all the myriads of subtley different tones and shades of green. 

Ah well, could maybe do a big version, but unlike many of my colleagues, I don't really like repeating a painting - the juices just don't flow a second time for me.

6 comments:

  1. I really like the greens, the scene looks so cool and peaceful. Just the spot for a sit down while on a long riverside walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I particularly like this one, the contrast of the tree in the foreground against the trees in the background gives a very good sense of distance, and the softness of brush strokes in the water, that river is really flowing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele! I always enjoy painting water - such a delight when it works, and so much easier than trees!

      Delete
  3. Superb, Peter. A large pastel rather than oil, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew. That's not a bad suggestion, but don't hold your breath for any royalties to come your way :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment !