Friday 31 March 2017

In Great Langdale

Oil on Board, 14 x 18 inches

Woh, a handbrake turn for a while, away from the relative flatlands of Rutland, I thought I would do three or four from a trip to the Lakes. This one is in Great Langdale showing the Pikes beautifully lit, with a stripe of sunlight across the mountain and the meadows and bare trees below. 

So many spots of contrast and counterchange here, it was a joy to paint, with lots of 'pow' and drama! I deliberately placed the two Herdwicks right at the bottom of the picture to give the Pikes their majesty, towering into the sky above. I painted the sky and the mountains with a No 5 long flat Hog bristle brush, refining the crags with a long flat chisel-edged Rosemary & Co Series 279 brush. All the trees were painted with either a fan brush for the more distant ones, or a 1" decorator's brush for the nearer ones, augmented with a rigger for the thicker branches.

8 comments:

  1. Once again stunning! What catches my eye is that subtle counterchange left of centre with the bright light hitting the crag. It is a wonderful gift to remember the momentary play of light in such a changable area and to portray it on canvas afterwards. Thanks for posting, it provides us mere mortals much needed inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much again Black Rocks - much appreciated! Thay shaft of light lighting up that crag was certainly the 'hook' for the painting.

      Delete
  2. Wow. I'd give anything to see you paint with the 1" brush! Youtube??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy - will definitely put something on Youtube soon, but I do give regualar demos where you can see me paint - where are you in the country?

      Delete
    2. I'm in Ireland Peter. The very west of it too!

      Delete
    3. Ah, that's a shame - Youtube it is then! If you follow me on Facebook or keep looking on here, I'll post a video when I do one. You can see me working in Pastel at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lwcP2WZ6No
      It's in nine parts, real-time over nearly two hours.

      Delete
    4. Great I'll check them out. Many thanks. I tried to add friend on FB but it says you have reached the friend request limit and I couldn't see any follow button.

      Delete
    5. If you message me on Facebook Tracy, I'll try friending you and do it that way. I have three pages on Facebook actually - Peter Barker, Peter Barker RSMA and one for my gallery - Peter Barker Fine Art.

      Delete

Please leave a comment !