Wednesday 10 October 2012

Harvest Sunset

Oil on Board, 12 x 17 inches

I like painting harvest scenes with the modern day Swissroll bales of straw. This is a view just half a mile from my studio, looking down over the Chater Valley in late August.  Using a little artistic license I moved the setting sun a little to the right for the sake of the composition and used the radiating lines of stubble effectively to take the eye down to the right and around to the left.

I thought I might also submit this one for the ROI (Royal Institute of Oil Painters) Exhibition, although a friend said they weren't so keen on it as my riverine paintings, so I'm not sure.  If any of you really like this as much as my river scenes, I'd be grateful if you would either just click next to the 'Cool' button in the blue bar at the bottom of this post (nothing to fill in, just a click), or make a comment to that effect, otherwise I shall assume that my friend is right and this lacks the impact I'm looking for.  Thanks in anticipation!

4 comments:

  1. A very good painting as always Peter.
    I think your own judgement is more reliable when it comes to submitting work.
    Best Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trevor. I don't know about that - I submitted what I thought were my best 6 paintings last year, but only got one accepted, and the weakest in my eyes, so what do I know!

      Delete
  2. Ellen and I both think that this is an excellent painting but lacks the same impact as one of your water scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts Dave and Ella, much appreciated!

      Delete

Please leave a comment !