Tuesday 21 May 2013

No Tobogganning

Oil on Board, 12 x 17 inches

This is a glorious, panoramic view over Dartmoor that I've painted for my Devon exhibition in November.  I was immediately drawn to the wind-carved old tree with its dark under-canopy and vivid Spring foliage, set against the ever-receding blue tones of the vast distance below in the valley, spotted with little cottages in the Dartmoor villages.

I started painting the backdrop, using more blue and white in the mixes of my three primary colours for the distant hills, fields and trees, then added more red and yellow and less white as I painted the ones nearer the foreground, thus portraying the illusion of three dimensions to the painting, hopefully. If you pay close attention to the relative tones and colours, that illusion of depth will be created.

The title?  Well, that sign on the five-bar gate reads 'Please do not toboggan in these fields'! 

4 comments:

  1. Great landscape has always Peter.Love the inviting gate leading me to this vista. Best Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trevor - I nearly left the gate open to prevent the eye stopping, so thanks for that, and the cattle would look a bit odd with an open invitation to escape!

      Delete
  2. Love it Peter, I like the touch of lilac(?) in the far background and your illusion of three dimensions works perfectly (of course it would :-)) Dartmoor is a favorite spot of mine, I always wanted to live there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bev - more blue than lilac - maybe your screen needs calibrating! Dartmoor is glorious, well away from it all, eh?

      Delete

Please leave a comment !