Thursday 17 September 2015

Bad Hair Day

Pastel on Sennelier Pastelcard, 23 x 19 inches

I haven't done an animal study for a goodly while, so it was nice to paint this sheep, which I think is a Black Lincoln, though my knowledge of sheep is very limited compared to that of wildlife.

Soft Pastel is a lovely medium to use for animal fur, although I find Pastelcard rather coarse with its surface of compressed cork particles. To alleviate this far too abrasive problem for me, I rub the surface quite hard with a very fine grade wet or dry paper, which removes a lot of the cork particles and leaves the paper with a much smoother feel, yet still able to grab plenty of pigment, without the need for fixative.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks again Sue - a very good sitter with a great haircut!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work Peter, love the colours you have used in the fur.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bev - quite a challenge to find the right colours in my very untidy 'palette'!

      Delete

Please leave a comment !