Wednesday 30 January 2019

Teasels by the Welland

 Oil on Board, 9 x 13 inches
 
I'm rattling through all these demo paintings I've had stacked in the studio for months, and here's another one finished off. There's a common theme in nearly all these recent efforts - contre-jour, ie, facing into the sun. This tends to create strong highlights and shadows, so that there is plenty of contrast in the painting, giving it interest and often more impact. I love a Wintry subject for this light effect too - pale blue-greys for the distant trees, getting ever darker and warmer towards the foreground

4 comments:

  1. Artedd57@cloud.comFebruary 01, 2019 12:51 pm

    Peter, I love the softness of your paintings. Any suggestions for a hobby painter on how to achieve that effect. Also, I have noticed you paint a lot of smaller paintings. Is this just a personal preference or is there another reason? Edd Kentucky, USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Edd, and apologies for slow reply - only just seen your comment! Not sure that my paintings have a softness to them - perhaps the Pastels are softer than the oils by the very nature of the medium, but if they do, it's because I take note of the gently receding tones, from dark in the foreground to light in the background, and progressively bluer - just really look at the tones and colours in nature, that's the best advice I can offer. I paint smaller paintings when outside, and for the market, and reserve the big ones when I think I have a real, knockout composition, hopefully!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for answering Peter. I’ll keep that in mind while I’m painting. Softness probably wasn’t the proper word to use describing your work. I just enjoy seeing your paintings especially the sunrises and sunsets. Actually any rural scene I love as I live a rural community myself. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Ed - plenty more rural scenes to follow, just as soon as I've set up my new gallery. Best wishes, Peter

      Delete

Please leave a comment !