Friday 20 July 2012

High Street, Burford

Oil on Board, 12 x 17 inches

I thought I would paint something out of my comfort zone for my upcoming Cotswold exhibition, so I thought this view of Burford would fit the bill. My intention was to paint it loosely, but I failed miserably!  There isn't much detail really from the middle distance backwards, just a lot of dabs of colour and tone, although I did try to make as much sense of the architecture in the sunlit cottages at the bottom of the street on the right.  I spent a lot more time on the painting than I wanted to, because cars, humans and buildings have a lot of parts in them!  You may have heard me rave about Peter Brown's work on here in a previous post, but I'm even more in awe of him now, his default subject being street scenes, hence his pseudonym 'Pete the Street' 

3 comments:

  1. peter, I think you have captured Burford to a tee. Brought back happy memories and I always loved the. buildings at the bottom of the street. So glad Ollie is improving and well done saving the Gatekeeper. Butterflies are few and far between these days. Hope the sun shines for you soon. Ve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just been to Google maps street views (51.807092,-1.636857 for the cartography minded) and have to say your capture of the view there is just absolutely incredible! Well done Peter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirk - that's very diligent of you; I'd better watch out next time I do a street view!

      Delete

Please leave a comment !