Tuesday 17 July 2012

My Uncle Arthur

On Sunday my Uncle Arthur died in hospital in Taunton after falling over at home and breaking his hip and wrist.  He was my mum's brother and the last remaining member of the Hutchings dynasty of Banbury, a well known musical family.  
 
He was 96 years old, fiercely independent and still living at home in Minehead in Somerset.  He broke his other hip when he fell over in the snow and ice of the winter of 2010, and had a lengthy fight back to becoming ambulant again.  He only fell over that time because he walked into town every single day to have lunch at a cafe and was wearing smooth soled shoes on icey pavements.  
 
He was determined to reach 100 and get a telegram from the reigning monarch, but, alas, he didn't quite make it, this latest fall proving too much for his body to recover from, just three and a half years short of his ton.  He was always cheery, despite being on his own, surviving both his wives, his outlook on life always positive.  He'll be missed by all who knew him.  

11 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your loss Peter, your uncle Arthur sounds like one of the old school....what will we do when they are all gone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bev, indeed he was, always joking about '.com' and other modern world inventions. We'll just have to run with the baton!

      Delete
  2. We are very sorry to hear of the sad passing of your Uncle, Peter.
    Terry & Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry & Sheila, he was indeed a character from the old school, from a time long gone.

      Delete
  3. So sorry for your loss Peter. Love Uncle Arthur's glasses - he was obviously a great personality.
    My Mum-in-Law broke her hip 2 years ago aged 93 - also wearing smooth soled shoes (can't bear to buy decent ones in case she doesn't get the wear out of them)!!!

    As Bev says ... what will we do when this wonderful generation has gone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, they were from a time gone by weren't they, never to be seen again. Did the world really exist without computers and mobile phones....surely not!

      Delete
  4. I can quite understand your loss Peter as I am caring for my 91 yr old mother 24hrs a day at the moment. Life is topsy turvy as my husband who you met needs care too. They wont live together so I,m piggy in the middle at the moment. Saying that I feel we have shared times and memories with a great generation. Ve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Difficult times Ve - I wish you luck juggling your care! Keep painting when you can too! Yes, it is great listening to a previous generation - what a change they've lived through!

      Delete
    2. Painting is a great therapy as I,m sure most painters know Ve

      Delete
  5. So sorry for your loss Peter, your Uncle Arthur looks a wonderful person, his eyes are full of wisdom, fun and love. I recently lost my darling twin sister and I too am feeling a huge void in my life. Carry on painting, I'll carry on baking, we owe it to them to carry on living our lives with more joy than sadness.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you whoever you are - that's a very true and poignant statement. I'm sure you must feel a big hole losing your twin - that's a loss very few of us experience, so I can't imagine how it must feel, but I wish you every strength and my very best wishes - you keep on baking!

      Delete

Please leave a comment !