Tuesday 19 August 2014

Windrush Willows

 Oil on Board, 12x17 inches

I painted this one as a demo to the Shefford Art Group last week. It's very much my meat-and-two-veg sort of subject. With only two hours painting time, it necessitated fast drawing and no-nonsense blocking in the main elements and dark tones, then layering the lighter tones on top to simulate the various mixes of greens for the vegetation - the trees, bushes and bankside grasses. You can see how far I got in the photo below.

Finishing the piece off in comfort of the studio, without fifty pairs of eyes staring over my shoulder (!), I reassessed the painting, refining the water and trees to exhibition standard. I also popped in some sheep in the distant meadow to add a bit of life.


2 comments:

Please leave a comment !