Monday 4 June 2012

Bright Evening by The Windrush

 Oil on Board, 9 x 12 inches

I painted this one en plein air on a trip to The Cotswolds last week.  This was the River Windrush just east of Burford.  Painting on site is a challenge at the best of times, especially when you are facing into the sun, but this was even more trying on this occasion because the Mayfly hatch was at its peak, with billions of them flying everywhere.  They hatch from their nymphs during the day, fly about in an enthusiastic, mesmerising dance, mate during the evening, then drop their eggs into the water for the whole two-year process to start again, whilst all the adults are either eaten by Chub, Brown Trout, Swallows and Martins, or die overnight anyway. 

I've included a few photos of me painting, showing the Mayflies on my tee-shirt and on the back of the painting (not on the actual painting which was in shade - they liked the sunlit back of it) and a couple showing the painting in progress and how bright the sun was right in front of me.




7 comments:

  1. Absolutely love this painting. You are without a doubt a real landscape master, and to my mind one of the very best living English Landscape artists. Brilliant work. Absolutely love it.

    All the best,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave for your very kind words of encouragement - it's much appreciated! Which Dave are you - I know a few Daves - do i know you?

      Delete
  2. I'm the annoying one, who often asks when your first demonstration video will be ready. I also sent you some pictures of my acrylic paintings (which you gave some very kind words of encouragement about.)

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, gotcha, thanks Dave. I shall anounce the long-awaited DVD on the Blog and website, as and when.......!

      Delete
    2. Ooh a DVD you would certainly have a customer here Peter. Those mayflies look big do they bite. I bet that gentleman was honoured to be painted by you, I do remember J.R.Hartley and am old enough to remember muffin the mule. Ha Ha. Your paintings as always are a pleasure to see. Ve

      Delete
    3. The Mayflies are a fair size Ve, but they don't bite. In fact their mouth parts are not developed and they don't even feed at all when they're alive - they just fly, have sex and die! I doubt the angler will know I've painted him, unless he happens to wander in to the John Noott Gallery in November at my exhibition. Thanks for your comment as ever.

      Delete
    4. Thankyou Ve

      Delete

Please leave a comment !