Friday, 13 September 2013

Bright Hoar Frost

Oil on Board, 6 x 8 inches

Last winter, notwithstanding the icy grip that it held on us, was a joy for us artists.  I love painting frost and snow and bare, skeletal trees.  The landscape is transformed into a wonderland of silver and I just love the more subtle, less shouty colours of winter.

Once the dark tones of the trees were scrubbed in quickly witha worn Hog brush, I set to with my 1" Household Decorator's brush to paint in the gorgeous, feathery tracery of the Willows' branches, making a concerted effort to try and make the trees look three dimensional and not just flat pancakes. The water was a simple affair, with a few blocky strokes of my Ivory Flat brush, the colours partially blended, then a few judicious, horizontal strokes with a Mongoose Flat.

This is the last little painting for my Devon exhibition...sigh of relief...now all I have to do is frame them...

7 comments:

  1. All 8 works just fabulous Peter. I am sure your exhibition will be a great success. Best REgards

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make it all seem so east Peter, and boy, it is so not!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that should be 'easy'.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Bev - I've always made things look east!

      Delete
  3. Peter I wish you all the best with the exhibition. Always love your paintings and reading how you achieved them, don,t mind being on death row! I know I may be ahead of you but please put my name down for 2 2014 calendars have enjoyed turning pages over this year. Thankyou Ve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Ve - I shall put you down for a couple of 2014 calendars, fear not, thank you!

      Delete

Please leave a comment !