Saturday 21 September 2013

Threatening Skies over the River Soar

 Oil on Board, 12 x 17 inches

I painted this one as a demo to the Vale of Belvoir Art Society.  It was slightly ambitious to complete it to exhibition standard in the allotted two hours, and I failed miserably!  Mind you, I was up against it a little in that I went down with a stinker of a cold virus in the morning.  I did feel a bit rough and was sneezing and dripping (too much information) onto the palette throughout.  That did enable me to ham it up a little and get the sympathy vote...didn't work though - they're a hard lot at Bottesford!

Having completed it back in the studio, I'm reasonably pleased with it.  There aren't a lot of lit surfaces in the painting, but I loved the dark clouds hanging over and their dark reflections in the water, with a few flecks of light, thus giving quite a dramatic light effect, despite the lack of direct sunlight.  The winding River Soar, near Loughborough, gives a nice 'lead-in' to the picture, and the figure and cattle provide a little scale - always a useful feature.

3 comments:

  1. Love your river scenes Peter. Makes me yearn to go fishing. Wonderful painting. Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Trevor - Mr Crabtree beckons eh!

      Delete
  2. I live right by the Soar, in Mountsorrel, and walk my dog there every day for the last 15 years. Love your paintings and you have inspired me to try!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment !