Friday 11 May 2012

Self Portrait

Oil on board, 10 x 8 inches

Just to ring the changes and keep my creative juices flowing, I thought I would paint a self-portrait, using looser brushstrokes than I normally do with my landscapes, with a few palette knife swipes too. I don't usually look this serious, but it's damned difficult to look relaxed when you're concentrating on painting yourself - you try it!   
I've long wanted to paint in a 'looser' manner, but I tend to naturally gravitate towards a 'tighter' rendering, but I may try a slicker, more painterly style with my default subject matter.  I do paint a few plein air paintings and I intend doing a lot more in future, so a quicker method would enable me to complete bigger pieces on site, so watch this space.  I'll await any comments, good or bad!

12 comments:

  1. Peter, how could you get any bad comments? Your work is always AMAZING! Can't wait to see the results

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind Dave, but a change of direction may not be met with acclaim!

      Delete
  2. The loose work allows me to look between the brush strokes. You are not telling all here, but revealing some inner emotions. To paint your own portrait must be quite an experience.
    I like this portrait Peter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Trevor - your comments are always appreciated! When are you going to put your oils on the website or blog? I just know you'll be blown away with the positive reaction, seriously!

      Delete
  3. Nice. Keep going!!!! The two, tighter and looser, may meld...
    Seeing the studious next to the smiling photo is intereting. The painting is wonderful..I like the smiling Peter better....All self portraits I have made are scowling horribly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn, we'll see what transpires....

      I think the only way to paint non-scowling self-portraits is to take some photos of yourself and paint from them!

      Delete
  4. The loose style may well give you great satisfaction and enjoyment. But please don't change direction completely, as there is no one anywhere that paints landscapes as you do. The point is there is no reason why you shouldn't do both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree with Ray,s comment Ve

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ray. I doubt I shall be able to change much, but just the occasional curved ball thrown in.......

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your comment too Ve!

      Delete
  5. Very nice painting!
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obrigado Paula, você é um pintor muito bem a si mesmo com um excelente trabalho no seu Blog!

      Delete

Please leave a comment !