Friday 18 May 2012

Sunset by The Windrush

Oil on Board, 10 x 14 inches

On my return trip from Devon last week, I stopped off at Burford for a walk along the River Windrush before sundown.  The water was high, a Barn Owl was already patrolling the glorious Buttercup meadows silently like a ghost, the sun was setting and two Swans glided along the river.  This spot made a great composition, with a nice S-shape to lead the eye through the painting.

Incidentally, isn't the Windrush just a perfect name for a river?  I came across it when I was very young, as we had a painting of the river done by Horace Gillett, my grandfather's sister's son, which makes him my cousin, or second cousin.  Either way, Horace was a very fine, classical watercolourist, only an amateur, but easily good enough to have made a living from it, had he so desired.

5 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful painting Peter as they all are. The golden glow of the evening sun is so believeable can almost smell the evening air. Ve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ve - you're sure you haven't trodden in a cow-pat?!

      Delete
    2. ha ha not that I know of let you know when I see you at Patchings Ve

      Delete
    3. I look forward to seeing you Ve - please make yourself known!

      Delete
    4. will do on the Sunday

      Delete

Please leave a comment !